background

Saturday, October 10, 2009

College Hunting in California

Last week Elizabeth and I took a short jaunt to California to check out a couple of colleges. We started out at California Institute of Technology, and then went on to Harvey Mudd. Both of these are excellent schools. We enjoyed comparing each on: types of classes, dorm rooms, types of internships available, Institutes, campus atmosphere, fatness of squirrels (LOL), and of course the food! (We ate at both college cafeterias. Sorry Caltech, Harvey Mudd beat you there fair and square!)
Before this trip, I had been to Caltech, and Elizabeth had been to Harvey Mudd. I think we both enjoyed showing each other our discoveries.
As a Mom, it is so hard to be objective. You just want the best for your child. I don't want to influence her too much. I kept bugging Elizabeth to tell me which way she was leaning, but she wouldn't give me an answer. So I try to keep my opinions out of the equation. But I have to say, I was honestly excited about both of these schools. I told Elizabeth she would have to make the decision. Hopefully we can get her to Boston to see MIT before she has to make a decision next spring. These are her top three choices.
She has some excellent opportunities. It will be interesting to see what the next year brings!


9 comments:

Andi said...

To have so many excellent choices... how wonderful! And tough to decide. Best wishes Elizabeth!

The Huffs said...

Who had the cutest guys:) Thats the most important :) Thats why Janelle and I went to Utah State :)

Unknown said...

i agree with melissa. definately most important. :)

kidding...right? said...

I can't wait to hear about where she ends up. What an exciting time!

Elizabeth Toller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth Toller said...

They are pretty much equal in terms of cute boys.

dan and laura said...

Oh my. Elizabeth looks so grown up in those pictures--and of course beautiful. Wow. This is a crazy time of life, but some of the most exciting as well! GOOD LUCK Elizabeth! Love you so much. I'll keep you in my prayers! and GOOD LUCK Janelle...it might be harder being the Mom and letting her choose and go off all by herself.

Mindi said...

What a fun trip for mom and daughter! Good luck in making your choice Elizabeth. That is great that you have some really good choices!! For me, Boston is too cold. But, it sure is a neat city.

Donna said...

So awesome, Janelle! Elizabeth is amazing and so intelligent, just like her mom and pops! I'm excited for her :0) She can live with us if she comes to Utah State... hee hee... maybe she will suddenly have a desire to go into agricultural engineering! Good luck!